Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hurricane Song

Right now, I'm re-reading the book Hurricane Song by Paul Volponi. Hurricane Song is a memoir written from the point of view of a Katrina survivor. As I'm reading Hurricane Song I'm receiving a feeling of darkness, hunger and a feeling of desperateness. The main character Miles and his father don't have a great relationship. They fight often, they don't talk very much, and you can feel the awkwardness between them as the reader. The setting takes place in the Super Dome, a place where everybody tries to go for shelter and safety. So many terrible things happen in the super dome such as suicides, rapes, lack of bathrooms and food, robberies, that it's difficult to think of it as a place for safety.

After reading this book for the first time, it was extremely difficult to process what actually happened during hurricane Katrina. As I''m reading this book, I'm realizing that it is so important to know what's happening around us. People everywhere are suffering from huge tragedies like this. What upsets me is that no one actually cares. I think that Hurricane Song taught me to think about the way other people are living their lives, and how they are deeply suffering.

1 comment:

  1. I love that book my 7th grade teacher read it too us. Great blog buy just try and elaborate into 1 more paragraph

    ReplyDelete