Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Social Action: Sold

Sold, by Patricia McCormick is a really thought provoking book. Sold is the type of book that you never want to put down, but at the same time, you want to throw it onto the floor and stomp all over it. Sold is a book about girls who are pulled into a world where men physically harass them. This is a word wide issue for young girls that needs to be stopped as soon as possible.

As I read this book, I realize how fortunate I am compared to many people. There are so many people who have to sleep in the freezing cold streets at night with no blankets at all, when I can sleep in my own clean bed. I realize that their are many things my sister and I take for granted, and it's not fair.  There are people out in the world with no food or water what so ever. 

Reading this book, many questions come into my mind. Why are their men out there that want to hurt young girls? Why is their such a punishment as starvation? Why do people have to go through this types of issues when I'm protected by my family and people around me? Why is it that we are all equal but other's still have to go though these issues? It's not fair that young children have to experience these types of things, and I think we should all try to do something to stop it.

5 comments:

  1. I really love when you said that sold is the type of book that you never want to put down, but at the same time, you want to throw it onto the floor and stomp all over it.

    And I completely agree we do take a lot of things for granted !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallie,

    You raise some really great questions at the end of your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Kayla. Love that line!

    The questions at the end were so thought provoking! I love the one where you ask "why do people have to go through these issues when I'm protected by my family." So insightful!
    Good Job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you said, "There are people out in the world with no food or water what so ever" I automaticly remembered the song, "World on Fire" I also feel sympathy towards the less fortunate and "Sold" does make you feel like you should take a lot of things for granted.
    Great job connecting to your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Alex. Sold I beleive is a very strong book that would make a very big difference to people and their community and society! Good Work.

    ReplyDelete