Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Elsewhere

This is a book that I've previously read over the summer, and is now my favorite book of all time. Elsewhere, by Gabrielle Zevin, is a book about a huge theme in life that everyone experiences at least a few times in their lives. Death. Death is something huge, and can be very scary, but interesting to write about. This is why I loved this book so much. It talked about death, but included other important stuff, like love, friendship and family.

When I experience a loved one passing away, I get scared and don't know what to do. In Elsewhere, I feel very differently about that. It seems to be a whole new world, kind of like a second chance, to perfect what you've done wrong in your previous life, and to understand and look at concepts in a different and new way. I feel like it's not so scary when you die. Maybe it is for the people who love you, but it's like a new magical journey just for you. 

I've always wondered about everybody's thoughts on what death is. What does death really mean? Why does it have such a huge affect on us, and why do we care so much? These are thoughts that I've thought about while I was reading this amazing book.

4 comments:

  1. your questions are really thought provoking. i like how you leave the reader thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallie,

    I like your positive spin on the idea of death, which is a topic that is normally seen as dark and gloomy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an excellent job and I might eithen pick up the book and start reading myslef

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My Gosh, I love Elsewhere. Gabrielle Zevin is a goddess.

    I loved the questions you explored in your entry. I never really thought about those things when I read Elsewhere, but you really got me thinking.
    Nice Job! :)

    Oh and have you read Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin? I swear to god, the best book you will ever read. Check it out! ;)

    ReplyDelete